Thursday, February 19, 2009

A week without grocery shopping

I'm beginning to really love the food blogs at nytimes.com, and I'm super envious that the blog owners get PAID to do these blogs! Well, I'm sure they get paid to do other things as well, but I'm envious nonetheless.

The lastest find from the Diner's Journal blog is an eGullet challenge to go one week without grocery shopping. We're not talking about grocery shopping once a week, but rather to forgo a grocery trip you would usually make and try to use up whatever you've got at home. Waste less, spend less!

But the idea is not novel, nor is it something that I've never done. For over a year, I didn't have a car and consequently got groceries once a month on average. (Twice a month if I'm lucky.) Not only that--half of the time I would be on foot, so I never bought that much at a time. I ate out a little more often than I do now with the car, but all the money I've saved by not eating out?

It's now being spent on groceries. (ka-ching!)

And my stockpile of frozen and dried goods has grown. (eek.)

So! I'm going to do the "challenge" and will document my meals for the next 7 days. My last grocery run was last Friday, and I'm not allowing myself to do another grocery run until next Thursday. As described in the forum, dire necessities or small small small purchases are allowed, but I'm pretty sure I can avoid that for the most part. But maybe some OJ 'cause I need the vitamin C when everyone around me is getting sick.!

Stuff I currently have on hand:
  • 1.8 pounds of orzo
  • 2 pounds of spaghetti
  • mochi cakes
  • rice
  • egg noodles
  • lentils
  • canned tomatoes
  • canned garbanzo beans
  • canned cannellini beans
  • canned artichokes
  • canned clams
  • frozen flank steak
  • 6 frozen chicken thighs
  • frozen dumplings
  • frozen spinach
  • shallots
  • yellow onion
  • brown beech mushrooms
  • manchego cheese
  • pecorino cheese
  • eggs
  • a littttttleee bit of half&half
  • anchovies
  • olive tapenade
  • capers
All of that should definitely last me a week. The challenge, however, is whether I will be cooking for anyone else ... ?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like fun. I love a good challenge; maybe I will attempt to do the same, although I get my Boston Organics delivery next Wednesday....

    ReplyDelete